Leading-edge life science research relies increasingly on three-dimensional or four-dimensional (3D or 4D) cellular imaging. Three dimensional imaging over time is the most accurate method of studying pathway activation at the cellular level. In addition to providing a greater understanding of cellular function, this approach leads to both a better understanding of disease and the action of potential therapeutics.
The Volocity 5 software is a complete solution for 3D and 4D image acquisition, allowing data visualization, deconvolution, publication, object measurement, tracking and charting. Using Volocity, cell images can either be directly acquired or the data seamlessly imported from a diverse range of fluorescence microscopy systems. Acquired images are then analyzed in 3D and 4D, delivering both qualitative and quantitative information. Volocity 5 marks a major advance in handling large data sets, and also features a streamlined user interface.
"The ability to analyze images from all angles, in 3D and in a time lapse environment, is critical to understanding cellular biology. The newest edition of the Volocity software makes this core function much more streamlined and accessible than before," said Richard Eglen, Ph.D., president, Bio-discovery, PerkinElmer. "This latest Volocity release further shows PerkinElmer's continued commitment to developing industry-leading imaging tools for cellular biology."
The Volocity suite comprises four core software products, all of which are available for Windows� and Mac� OS:
- Volocity Acquisition: Designed for high speed image capture, ranging from simple 2D image capture to multi-channel 4D experiments.
- Volocity Visualization: For rapid, interactive high-resolution 4D rendering of multi-channel 3D and 4D data sets.
- Volocity Quantitation: For measurement, tracking and analysis structure and function in 3D and 4D image data.
- Volocity Restoration: For easy conversion of standard wide field fluorescence microscope images into superior confocal quality data.
New features of Volocity 5 include:
- New Library View: For improved workflow and ease of navigation, to increase productivity.
- Updated Renderer: Changes to data handling and memory management offer new possibilities with large datasets.
- Image and Slice Views: Now with bookmarks and movie making, providing more options for turning image data into movies to share and publish.
- User-Specified XY Dimensions: For movies and snapshots, convenient time-saving feature for preparing data for publication.
- New Windows Vista and Mac OS X User Interface: Protect your investment and keep your system up to date with the latest OS for your computational system.
About PerkinElmer Bio-discovery
PerkinElmer's Bio-discovery business provides the most comprehensive offering of enabling technologies and services including biochemistry, detection systems, cell imaging, and liquid handling to accelerate life sciences research, from drug discovery to academic research.
About PerkinElmer, Inc.
PerkinElmer, Inc. is a global leader focused on improving the health and safety of people and their environment. The Company reported revenue of $1.8 billion in 2007, has approximately 9,100 employees serving customers in more than 150 countries, and is a component of the S&P 500 Index. Additional information is available through http://www.perkinelmer.com or 1-877-PKI-NYSE.
Effective January 1, 2009, PerkinElmer will begin operating within two businesses-Human Health and Environmental Health. In the interim, PerkinElmer will continue to operate as two business units-Life and Analytical Sciences and Optoelectronics.