Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.

Soldering Lead-Free Components with Leaded Paste

Soldering Lead-Free Components with Leaded Paste | 7 August, 2003

Anyone have experience soldering Lead-free components using leaded solder paste? I'm specifically interested in lead based no-clean solder paste. Any special concerns for reflow? Kyzen Cleaning?

Thanks, Greg

reply »

To further clarify my question. I'm dealing with mixed solder technologies on a single assembly and am curious how the rest of you guys handle this. Do you use lead based reflow profiles or revert to lead free based profiles? If you haven't seen this problem yet you will soon.

reply »

We have been soldering lead-free components on the products with SnPb solder for 10 plus years. Over those years, TI has shipped 20 billion parts with Pd solderability protection.

Turn-up the dial on your oven and push on to other things.

reply »

craigj

We've been doing it for quite a while on some parts but are noticing that as more manufacturers are going lead free we are starting to see some issues. Particularily with pure tin on nickel. Have found that need to increase oven reflow temp and time as we were getting cold joints (mostly on ceramic caps).

reply »

Soldering Lead-Free Components with Leaded Paste | 8 August, 2003

We have seen this for quite a while too ( chip components and IC's with lead free plating on the terminations ) and we did just what Dave said, crank up the heat. Also switched to newer formulations of solder paste, that are "more active" and have given us better wetting results.

But what about lead free BGA's?? Now you are dealing with an entire sphere of lead free solder, not just a plating. We have seen this a couple times recently, and I am curious if anyone else has seen this yet, and how they are handling it.

BTW we are a CM and therefore do not have a lot of control over the parts that we must use. To quote an email from one parts manufacturer that was forwarded to me from my customer "...the assembly house should know what to do for lead free parts. " So much for DFM and partnership, but that is a whole other topic.

Phil

reply »

Kris

Some good info here on the motorola website

hope this helps

http://www.mot.co.jp/about/ehs/green/ENV_PBFREEOV.pdf

Thanks

reply »

Thanks Phil,

Yes this is a Lead-free BGA. Not sure of the alloy yet. Looking into it.

reply »

One stop service for all SMT and PCB needs

Electronics Equipment Consignment