Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.

I have several memory devices that have 2% bismuth in the lead c

Keith Lengling

I have several memory devices that have 2% bismuth in the lead c | 8 February, 2005

I have several memory devices that have 2% bismuth in the lead coating. Is this enough bismuth to be concerned over the formation of a low temperature SnPbBi alloy? What are the allowable limits for bismuth in an SnPb process for both SMT and through hole parts?

This message was posted Add this forum to your site! Click to learn more. the Electronics Forum @

reply »

I have several memory devices that have 2% bismuth in the lead c | 8 February, 2005

Tough to say. Can you accept the loss of strength of your solder connection if upto 2% of the solder is affected? * Lead and bismuth alloys can form a eutectic composition of Bi52Pb32Sn16 in the grain boundaries. * Melting point of the eutectic alloy is 95*C.

Many times, you have to add: "Overall result is a large decrease in the strength of the joint." But this assumes a large bismuth content. Without doing the calculation, we'd guess that substantially less than 2% of the solder material would be affected.

reply »

PCB Soldering Tools

StikNPeel™ Rework Stencils