Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.

Wave soldering STSOP32

Mr.T

Wave soldering STSOP32 | 1 October, 2002

Hi,

Have anyone done STSOP32 circuit with 0,5mm pitch with wave? or anything simular.

Thanks for advance,

BR, Mr.T

reply »

Wave soldering STSOP32 | 9 October, 2002

No, wouldn't want to, wouldn't be prudent. Best process I think is to solderpaste reflow the TSOP components then mask them for the wave. Mask using liquid type soldermask or a selective solder pallet. Or, if you must, the only way I can see any decent results is with the wave machine having a Hot Air De-Bridging Knife option. De-Bridge to your heart's content.

reply »

Martin Ingall

Wave soldering STSOP32 | 13 October, 2002

What sorts of problems or defects are you experiencing when wave soldering STSOP32's?

This message was posted Add this forum to your site! Click to learn more. the Electronics Forum @

reply »

Mr.T

Wave soldering STSOP32 | 15 October, 2002

Hi,

Problem is Bridging on between leads.

Br, Mr.T

reply »

Wave soldering STSOP32 | 15 October, 2002

I can't comment on 20 pitch TSOP, but wave soldering wider pitch parts require: * Orienting components with the leads perpendicular to the wave [moving parallel to the rails]. * Thieving [robbing] pads on trailing pads for the component. Search the fine SMTnet Archives for more on thief / robber pads.

Bridging of leads other than the trailing leads of properly oriented parts and thieved boards is more problematic.

reply »

Tom G

Wave soldering STSOP32 | 23 October, 2002

I haven't tried anything like that but had some experience with .8 mm pitch SSOPs. Immersion depth in wave was very critical- had to control Lambda pump speeds within 20 RPM and even then it would change as solder level dropped.

Need thieving pads on end and may want to try a small glue dot between leads. We used in on some similar applications but that may be opening another can of worms.

I suggest selective soldering pallets or look at double reflow with Paste In Hole if the through hole parts permit (lead to hole ration and thermal ratings on parts).

reply »

reflow oven profiler