Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.

Pin-To-Paste

Jason

Pin-To-Paste | 1 October, 1998

I am currently experimenting with Pin-To-Paste reflow. does anyone know some excellent references or links that could give me tips and tricks, optimal aperature dimensions, etc. I have been informed that if I have pull through that I should put a cross hair in the apperature and divide the opening into quarters. Any input or links would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

reply »

helio dutra ferreira

Re: Pin-To-Paste | 5 October, 1998

| I am currently experimenting with Pin-To-Paste reflow. does anyone know some excellent references or links that could give me tips and tricks, optimal aperature dimensions, etc. I have been informed that if I have pull through that I should put a cross hair in the apperature and divide the opening into quarters. Any input or links would be appreciated. | | Thanks, | Jason |

reply »

Dick Casagrande

Re: Pin-To-Paste | 7 October, 1998

| | I am currently experimenting with Pin-To-Paste reflow. does anyone know some excellent references or links that could give me tips and tricks, optimal aperature dimensions, etc. I have been informed that if I have pull through that I should put a cross hair in the apperature and divide the opening into quarters. Any input or links would be appreciated. | | | | Thanks, | | Jason

Jason Ther are a couple of good articles around. See the August '98 issue of SMT magazine "a Novel Approach to Mixed-technology Processing" Also go to http://www.itm-smt.com/column15.html If you can't get them let me know and I'll fax you a copy.

Hope they help, Dick Casagrande | |

reply »

Joe P.

Re: Pin-To-Paste | 7 October, 1998

| I am currently experimenting with Pin-To-Paste reflow. does anyone know some excellent references or links that could give me tips and tricks, optimal aperature dimensions, etc. I have been informed that if I have pull through that I should put a cross hair in the apperature and divide the opening into quarters. Any input or links would be appreciated. | | Thanks, | Jason | Jason, Putting a cross hair, or "windowing" a larger aperture may help this "pull through", but your primary concern should be the amount of paste you need for the joint. The easiest way of determining the amount of paste required is 2x (the volume of the through hole - volume of the pin contained in the hole). Sometimes people add an "inspection factor" which adds a little more paste so that you will see a fillet for inspection purposes. The stencil aperture required is then determined by the area that you have between holes (the amount of overprinting you can tolerate), and the stencil thickness. Remember that you really should design the stencil for your finest pitch devices first, use a step as a LAST resort. If you are experimenting with this and are using a board that was designed for wave soldering, it may be very difficult to get the right amount of paste required and you may need to rely on filling the hole somewhat (but this paste may end up being pushed out by the pin). Both the connector and the through hole should be designed for Paste in hole for this to work effectively.

Feel free to e-mail me if you need more information. -Joe

reply »

Bob Willis

Re: Pin-To-Paste | 9 October, 1998

| | | I am currently experimenting with Pin-To-Paste reflow. does anyone know some excellent references or links that could give me tips and tricks, optimal aperature dimensions, etc. I have been informed that if I have pull through that I should put a cross hair in the apperature and divide the opening into quarters. Any input or links would be appreciated. | | | | | | Thanks, | | | Jason | | Jason | Ther are a couple of good articles around. | See the August '98 issue of SMT magazine "a Novel Approach to Mixed-technology Processing" | Also go to http://www.itm-smt.com/column15.html | If you can't get them let me know and I'll fax you a copy. | | Hope they help, | Dick Casagrande | | | | If you look at the SMTNet bookshop there are two CD ROM on Pin In Hole or Intrusive Reflow Assembly. There is also a video on the subject as well. I have produced a report on the technology and how to do it that is availabel from SMTA head office in the USA sorry I have not got the Tee Shirt its cold in the UK. | |

reply »

reflow oven profiler

Plasma prior Conformal Coating