Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.

How to place pin supports the same everytime a board is ran?

Views: 6836

tb

How to place pin supports the same everytime a board is ran? | 21 May, 2012

We are using Ekra Stencil printers and they are great except for 1 problem... We run several different boards a day and we need a way for the operators to place the pin supports in the same postions on the second side of the board everytime a board is ran be it a week or a year after the first run. We are currently leaving it up to the operator to "feel" where the board needs support but want a more controled way so it is the same everytime on every line, we are running 4 lines. If anyone has any suggestions please!

reply »

How to place pin supports the same everytime a board is ran? | 21 May, 2012

Look into grid-loc or a similar product.

reply »

How to place pin supports the same everytime a board is ran? | 22 May, 2012

In my opinion, the best solution is h-towers or similar dedicated tooling designed for each build. However, a quick cheap fix is to make templates to lay in the bottom of the centernest. If you have access to CAD software, you can print out the gerber data or the stencil design file, then sketch in the locations of the pins after a good reliable set-up. Then, go back to your CAD or SolidWorks or whatever you have and draw a template with exact x/y locations. This way you can't loose the templates. You can print it 1:1 before a run, lay it in the bottom of the centernest and place your pins on top of it or punch holes and mark it with a sharpie (marks come off easy with alcohol). If you don't have CAD, use a clear plastic sheet to X mark the spots for pins using the actual PCB/array then keep them for the next go.

reply »

How to place pin supports the same everytime a board is ran? | 22 May, 2012

Grid-lok or Quick-Tool work extremely well. There's no putting stuff together. You drop them in and go. Problem with templates is that you need to update them with rev changes. If you run hundreds of jobs this can become a nightmare.

reply »

How to place pin supports the same everytime a board is ran? | 23 May, 2012

I would agree with Sr Tech..Grid lock and systems like this can be used on the Ekra, MPM and DEK printers also can be used in Pick and place depending on the density of pin. If you choose the method of printing out a 1:1 photoplot. Glue it to a piece of Lexan and make the Lexan the same size as the board. Again you can also use this in a pick and place for placement of parts. I guess it all depends on $$$$$$ available and type of job. I tend to favour the other methods. They do not damge or move the components.

reply »

How to place pin supports the same everytime a board is ran? | 25 May, 2012

I too would go with something like the Grid-lock. We use Red-E-sets from production solutions. They are similar to the grid-locks but don't use air.

reply »

How to place pin supports the same everytime a board is ran? | 27 May, 2012

I'm with SWAG. Print a 1:1 transparency of your stencil file and mark it where you want to place the pins. Place it in the product file and use it each time yor run that product. 1. Get the pcb into the print position. 2. Tape your transparency to the conveyor rails so it matches the pcb. 3. Remove the pcb 4. Place the pins under the transparency. 5. Remove the transparency and run.

As far as rev changes to the pcb go - if you have to fab a new stencil - print a new transparency, it'll cost you all of 50 cents. I won't have a stencil made in the first place until I've matched the pcb to it's transparency.

Search the fine archives - I think you'll find many people have "issues" with the grid and RED-E type systems.

reply »

How to place pin supports the same everytime a board is ran? | 29 May, 2012

There were some issues with the older grid-lok systems that have been resolved in the newer designs. We run them in all of our printers and Fuji chip shooters. The only issue we see is that the air pressure may need adjusted on thin boards.

reply »

How to place pin supports the same everytime a board is ran? | 31 May, 2012

Very good practical solution from Darby, I was going to say sample board or picture. in the old days we would have a board with location marks

Bob Willis

This message was posted Add this forum to your site! Click to learn more. the Electronics Forum @

reply »

vacuum tweezers - manual pcb assembly

Reflow System