Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.

Package on Package BGA Components any issue in SMT?

Views: 1942

Package on Package BGA Components any issue in SMT? | 27 February, 2007

Hi anybody have experience with the Package on Package BGA components. I mean BGA over a BGA component assembly. Our R&D is requesting us feedback for the future usage of this part. Need to gather some info on possible SMT issues for usage of this BGA package. Can anybody give me some info on this?

reply »

Muhammad Haris

Package on Package BGA Components any issue in SMT? | 28 February, 2007

hi, Consider BGA1= bigger one BGA2= smaller one

CONSIDERATION : 1. If bga2 is inside the bga1 then bga1 balls should not touch the bga2 upper surface i.e. the inside balls of bag1 package should b in ur mind, so choice is urs.

METHOD: mount BGA1/BGA2 on its DIP type socket and place it on BGA2/BGA1. i.e. bga1 on bga2 OR bga2 on bga1 through THT sockets

reply »

Package on Package BGA Components any issue in SMT? | 14 March, 2007

Hi Muhammad thanks for the reply. However, this is my current situation. We are currently using some BGA's with this kind of packaging BGA over BGA. I have verified solderability of the main BGA (below Bga the one w/c will be soldered to PCB) using Ersascope inspection, X-ray inspection rotated 90 degree and also profile data's all is fine. However, during testing our ICT encounter's testing failures they simple use hot air to blow-up the BGA and retest will eventually pass. What would be the like cause of this? Since my control is more focused on the main BGA and not the piggy backed bga attached onto it what other items I need to consider for this issue certainly profile for both main and atop BGA has already been verified ok.

reply »

J

Package on Package BGA Components any issue in SMT? | 14 March, 2007

I am not sure Ersascope and X-Ray will tell you the results you are looking for. My experience with x-ray has proven that misalignment, voids, and bridging are really the only failures that can confidently be observed. You may have solder in place, but the connection may not exist. Have you ran a sample using thermocouples between the packages? Sounds like you are not getting the heat you need.

This message was posted Add this forum to your site! Click to learn more. the Electronics Forum @

reply »

PCB Soldering Tools

reflow oven profiler