Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.

IPC-A-610D Question

Views: 1391

Tim

IPC-A-610D Question | 2 May, 2006

8.2.5.5 Flat Ribbon, L, and Gull Wing Leads, Maximum Heel Fillet Height (E).

For class 3 the heel fillet cannot touch the body of a plastic component, except for SOICs and SOTs.

Why is my question? What type of failure will be the result of solder touching the body? I expect it has something to do with stress/strain of the lead due to thermal expansion but I need some more input.

We currently use 6mil stecils should we switch to 5mil?

Thanks,

Tim

This message was posted Add this forum to your site! Click to learn more. the Electronics Forum @

reply »

IPC-A-610D Question | 2 May, 2006

I have experienced the exact same problem with excess solder touching the plastic component body. The solution in my case was simply to replace the stencil. I was using a reusable stencil frame that had been worn out. I replaced the stencil with a solid DC 20x20 frame and have not seen this problem since.

When I asked what the actual component failure was, I got two responses.

1. Prolonged exposure to heat causes the component to crack. 2. Thermal expansion creates stress on the lead and over time can weaken or break.

I tried calling IPC myself but didn't have the patience to wait on hold.

reply »

Tim

IPC-A-610D Question | 3 May, 2006

Brett,

I've found out that it is not a defect with respect to Rev. D. You are correct about the thermal expansion but due to the size of the plastic SOIC's and SOT's they have eliminated it as a defect.

Thanks,

Tim

This message was posted Add this forum to your site! Click to learn more. the Electronics Forum @

reply »

PCB Soldering Tools