Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.

Point to Ground Measurement

Views: 1156

Point to Ground Measurement | 20 April, 2006

All, Does anyone sell a safe and effective way to connect a DMM to building ground via a power outlet? Personally, I'm comfortable using a banana plug, but the people that are going to be performing this task may vary in electrical understanding, and might get a wake up call that could dip me in hot water.

I would modify a power cord, but I can't homemake this one due to the safety factor. Our points are connected to the screws that connect to the conduit, but I would rather check directly to ground instead of to a screw that may or may not have a solid connection to ground.

and "no", we don't have exposed conduit.

-Other Russ

PS: I would especially like to hear what WaveMaster Larry has to say about this.

reply »

Point to Ground Measurement | 20 April, 2006

The simple way should be to wire the ground according to your National Safety Standards.

This message was posted Add this forum to your site! Click to learn more. the Electronics Forum @

reply »

Point to Ground Measurement | 26 April, 2006

In England all domestic sockets are 3 pin, with an earth. You can quite easily buy a device that plugs into the socket and has 3 press studs on the back that connect to the earth. These are usually made for connecting ESD straps to. I know RS sell them but dont know if they do a forign version.Think it would do exactly what your asking.

reply »

PCB X-Ray Inspection

Metcal soldering rework