Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design SMT Electronics Assembly Manufacturing Forum

Printed Circuit Board Assembly & PCB Design Forum

SMT electronics assembly manufacturing forum.

Smartmedia connector in reflow soldering

Smartmedia connector in reflow soldering | 22 November, 2002

We are experiencing problems with a smartmedia connector during the reflow solder process. The connectors stay a little bended after the oven. In this case the middle leads are not solded, because they stay with no contact on the board. The conector manufacturer is Yamaichi electronics. Model # CN015 R -3123 -0 You can find data sheet at http://www.yamaichi.us/pdf/memory/m08_cn015_3123.pdf

If someone are using this component or any similar, please let me know how to solder it. Thanks

reply »

Smartmedia connector in reflow soldering | 23 November, 2002

This sounds alot like the warping that we all see periodically in BGA. CTE of material is temperature dependent and not temperature changing rate dependent, so you are pretty much hosed by the physics.

Regardless, I do like trying like crazy to get the top and bottom of the component at the same temperature before entering reflow. Then moving into reflow slowly so the paste has time to become liquid before the component begins to dance. This means a long soak before reflow. Although I will admit this is probably wishful thinking since the physics of CTE doesn't care about the rate of temperature change.

What does your component suppler suggest?

reply »

CH

Smartmedia connector in reflow soldering | 4 December, 2002

U might need to run the board on a reflow pallet with a clamper. This will help to solve the warpage problem on the PCB and connector.

reply »

Reflow Oven

Electronics Equipment Consignment